GEORGETOWN’S HISTORIC AFRICAN
FEMALE UNION BAND SOCIETY
HISTORIC MEMORIAL PARK, INC.
a vision for our future
We have an unprecedented opportunity to rediscover nearly two centuries of lost African American history in Georgetown and to develop a historic memorial park as a sacred space for quiet reflection and respectful commemoration of the past.
A space to promote unity, appreciation, and most of all, to EDUCATE and remember the sacrifices that these founding members of Georgetown made to preserve their heritage while struggling through a time of deep segregation.
HELP US SAVE GEORGETOWN'S
AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY & CEMETERIES
Preservation Plan - Preserve
1. Initial Site Survey locating property boundaries and all existing monuments known to be at their original sites.
2. Prepare an accurate and fine-scaled topographic map.
3. Inventory trees on the property and assess any immediate needs for maintenance.
4. Photographic survey of all existing headstone groupings to be geotagged to uploaded in the GIS (Geographic Informations Systems) database.
5. Conduct ground penetrating radar of the entire property to locate original burial sites.
6. Continue research specifically genealogical research to rebuild as complete a listing of historical interments as possible and begin to learn about their families and histories in the communities.
7. All of the findings above will be uploaded into the GIS database as we prepare for the next phases of preservation and restoration.