The Mt. Zion / Female Union Band Historic Memorial Park, Inc. (Foundation) is a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization incorporated in 2005 in Washington, DC. to jointly manage the preservation and commemoration of the Mt. Zion and Female Union Band Society Cemeteries.
In Special Recognition
Our Friends and Partners, both individuals and organizations, who have supported and sustained us over the decades (a partial list of our many supporters is listed below)
Our Foundation logo, the Sesa Wo Suba, means "Change or transform your character". It is comprised of two Adinkra symbols: the 'Morning star' or a new start to the day, within the 'Wheel' representing rotation or independent movement.
Board of Directors
[Additional Director TBD]
Secretary and Treasurer
Dumbarton United Methodist Church
National Society of The Colonial Dames of America
DC Preservation League
DC Office of Historic Preservation
DC Humanities Council
Lisa M. Fager
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
The Crusade Continues
And Our Many Wonderful Volunteers!
1. Site Surveys locating property boundaries and all existing monuments known to be at their original sites.
2. An accurate and fine-scaled topographic map.
3. Inventory of key trees on the property and any immediate needs for maintenance.
4. Photographic survey of all existing headstone groupings, to be geotagged to uploaded in the GIS (Geographic Informations Systems) database.
5. Ground-penetrating radar of the entire property to locate original burial sites.
6. Genealogical research to reconstruct, as possible, a complete listing of historical interments and begin to learn about their families and histories in the communities.
7. The findings above uploaded into the GIS database as we prepare for the next phases of preservation and restoration.