The Mt. Zion / Female Union Band Historic Memorial Park, Inc. (Foundation) is a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization incorporated in 2005 in Washington, DC. to jointly manage the preservation and commemoration of the Mt. Zion and Female Union Band Society Cemeteries.
In Special Recognition
Our Friends and Partners, both individuals and organizations, who have supported and sustained us over the decades (a partial list of our many supporters is listed below)
Our Foundation logo, the Sesa Wo Suba, means "Change or transform your character". It is comprised of two Adinkra symbols: the 'Morning star' or a new start to the day, within the 'Wheel' representing rotation or independent movement.
Board of Directors
[Additional Director TBD]
Secretary and Treasurer
Dumbarton United Methodist Church
Eagle Eye Tutoring
National Society of The Colonial Dames of America
Bethesda Metro and Washington DC Rotarians
DC Preservation League
DC Office of Historic Preservation
DC Humanities Council
Lisa M. Fager
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
The Crusade Continues
And Our Many Wonderful Volunteers!
1. Cemeteries property surveys and boundary marking.
2. Topographical and ground-penetrating geo surveys and mapping studies and documentation.
3. Tree canopy inventory, replacement, and maintenance.
4. Restoration and maintenance of structures, benches, paths, and other human additions on the burial grounds
5. Restorative cleaning, mending, elevating, and righting of headstones and memorials.
6. Erosion and grounds settlement restoration and mitigation.
7. Protection from development, stormwater, and other physical threats posed by adjoining properties
8. Genealogical research to construct, a complete profile of interments and biographies of the deceased.
9. Photographic survey of existing headstones, monuments, and artifacts with transcriptions of inscriptions.
10. Load interments, biographies, and associated documents and images into a Cemetery Information System.